You can have your cake and eat it too without the guilt or the sugar crash with this healthy recipe that’s packed with 12 egg whites and loaded with proteins from legumes.
Matcha Angel Food Cake with White Bean
By Rina Oh
Time: 2 hours
- 12 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3 teaspoons Matcha powder
- 6 cups cooked white beans
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Using a hand mixer with the balloon whisk attachment, combine egg whites with cream of tartar, water, and vanilla extract and whip for 5 minutes on medium speed until the mixture reaches the soft peak stage. Slowly add small amounts of the confectioners sugar until it’s all incorporated for 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium-high and continue mixing for 3 more minutes. Turn down the speed to medium-low speed and slowly add the cake flour in batches of 2 tablespoons. When the flour is all in, allow the dry flour to blend with egg mixture and increase the speed of mixer again to high speed for 2 minutes.
- Transfer batter into a deep dish non stick pan (do not grease the pan). Shake the pan back and forth to even out the surface.
- Place pan into oven and bake for 35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Using a blender combine beans and confectioners sugar and pulse for 1 minute. Increase the speed and blend on high speed for 2 minutes until the mixture is pureed.
- Take cake out the oven when it’s finished baking and place on a cooling rack for an hour. Gently remove the cake from the pan and place on a cutting board. Using a cake knife, slice cake horizontally in the middle.
- To assemble, place one piece of the cake, with the crust down and soft side up. Spoon half the bean filling onto the first layer of the cake, allow some of the filling to drip off the sides. Place second layer on top with the soft green side up. Repeat the same step. Top cake with coconut sugar.
- Divide cake into 8 pieces and serve.